City of Valleys
Home The Cities eTrade eTourism Archive About Us Contact Us
No Ads
eTrade Contacts
Major ProductsLocation Of SuppliersExport Markets
Trade FairsForeign Buyers GuideEmbassies
Trade Related Government Regulations & PoliciesCalendar Of EventsGovernment Offices Directory
General Info

eTourism Contacts
MuseumsHotelsResorts
HospitalsCity FestivalsEmergency Numbers
Tourist OperatorsTourist AttractionsSpecial Areas Of Interest
Accredited Travel AgenciesTourism Related Government Regulations & PoliciesUniversities
TransportationGovernment Tourism OfficesGeneral Info

Calendar of Events Contacts
Cultural Calendar

Cultural Calendar Contacts

eTrade Contacts

Event: Tourist Attractions - 06 Sep 2007

Rizal Is Famous For 
Cradle of Philippine Art

 
 Rizal has gained a reputation as the “Cradle of Philippine Art,” owing to its artists' communities and folk festivals, starting with Philippine National Hero Jose Rizal, himself an artist, after whom the province was named. Its other creative sons include national artist Vicente Manansala along with Blanco, Nemiranda, and Pacheco, among others. Art Galleries

Angono, Binangonan, Tanay, and Morong abound with art houses where traditional and contemporary paintings and masterpieces are arrayed for public viewing, allowing visitors to imbibe the culture and artistic genius of the Filipino. The galleries of Vicente Manansala in Binangonan; the galleries of Blanco and Nemiranda in Angono; the Pacheco Gallery in Morong; and the Angono Art Galleries are excellent sources of artworks by the artists of Rizal.

Hinulugang Taktak

The town of Antipolo has been traditionally known for Hinulugang Taktak Falls, even before World War II. The mountain resort has picnic cottages, a swimming pool, artificial paths, and steps to view the waterfalls. During the month of May, cultural concerts and plays are held in the area fronting the waterfalls. The falls is located along Taktak Road.

Daranak Falls

A favorite location shooting area of most local and international movies and advertising outfits in the country, Daranak Falls nestles quietly at the foot of the Tanay mountains, preserved with the natural vegetation, complemented with beautiful waterfalls, ponds, and rivers cascading through elaborate tropical trees and plants. This 14-meter high falls is truly a refreshing site. It is located at Bgy. Tandang Kutyo in the town of Tanay.

Wawa Dam

The dam is located at Barangay Wawa in the town of Rodriguez, at the foothills of the Sierra Madre Mountains. It supplies water to Novaliches passing through large pipes. It has a gorge, which lies between two limestone mountains, and through this passes the upper Marikina River. Four caves are visible on the way to the dam. These caves are said to have been inhabited by the Japanese soldiers during the Second World War. A historical marker can be found at the entrance of one of the caves, in memory of the Japanese soldiers.< /p> Susong Dalaga

The 200-meter-high mountain is shaped like a virgin's breast, which translates to “susong dalaga” in the Tagalog language. A trek to this mountain challenges the grit, perseverance, and physical stamina of hikers. But once they are at the top, a rewarding feeling of “being high” comes by looking at the scenic Laguna Lake and its pristine surroundings. The mountain can be found in Barangay Sapang, Talim Island, Binangonan.

Petroglyphs

Discovered in 1965 by national artist and acclaimed muralist Carlos “Botong” Francisco from Angono, this cultural heritage site dates back to circa 3000 B.C. and is the most ancient Filipino, or more aptly, prehistoric Filipino work of art. The site located in Binangonan is famous for its rock engravings, 127 drawings of human and animal figures. Previous archaeological finds yielded fragments of earthenware, obsidian flakes, and shells.

The Angono Petroglyphs site has been included in the World's Inventory of the Rock Art, through the auspices of UNESCO, ICCROM, and ICOMOS. It has been declared as a national cultural treasure by virtue of Presidential Decree 260 in 1996. It received the greatest recognition as a nominee for the “100 Most Endangered Sites of the World” by the World Monument Watch List. The preservation and development of the Petroglyphs is a collective effort of the National Museum of the Philippines, World Monument Watch Fund, American Express International, the Department of Tourism, and Antipolo Properties, Inc.

Our Lady of Antipolo Shrine

It is known to be the home of Our Lady of Peace and Good Voyage (Nuestra Señora dela Paz y Buenviaje). History says that this miraculous icon sailed back and forth between Manila and Acapulco eight times, and on several occasions, was credited with saving the Spanish galleons from destruction by pirates, and Dutch and British blockades. The galleon's safe arrivals were attributed to the miraculous powers of the icon. It was on November 26, 1926 that the Blessed Virgin from Acapulco was dedicated by the Archbishop of Manila, Michael O' Doherty. The month of May is a month-long fiesta in Antipolo, when thousands of devotees come to pay homage to Our Lady of Peace and Good Voyage.

Tayo na sa Antipolo Festival

The month-long celebration is Antipolo City is to honor Our Lady of Peace and Good Voyage. Devotees are seen taking the much-trodden path leading to Antipolo. The image, which is already three centuries old, is said to exhibit supernatural powers. In the evening of April 30, thousands of pilgrims from several places in Metro Manila and nearby towns begin an annual trek to the path, on foot.

Feast of San Clemente (Higantes Festival)

Angono's joyous fiesta is in honor of San Clemente whose image, resplendent in papal vestment, is borne by male devotees during a procession accompanied by parehadoras, or devotees dressed in local costumes, wooden shoes, and carrying boat paddles, and higantes, or giant wooden figures made from papier-mache and bamboo. The street event culminates in a fluvial procession on the shores of Laguna de Bay, amidst revelry that continues until the image is brought back to the parish church.

Overlooking View

Located in Antipolo City, Overlooking View is an area on top of a mountain along Sumulong Highway where one can have a splendid view of the metropolis. There are several nipa huts that serve as a drinking area for the people who would like to enjoy the view.

Wawa Gorge, Montalban

This 400m-deep limestone gorge has a surprisingly wild feel for a place only two hours from Manila. There are numerous routes of varying lengths rated from 5.8 to 5.11. The most difficult climbs are bolted, but if traditional protection is pissible, local climbers expect that it will be used. There are occasional rockfalls, so wear a helmet. The best place to get information on Wawa Gorge is Power Up Gym in Quezon City.

Puting Bato (White Rock), Cogeo

The closest climbing site to Manila, Puting Bato is a limestone cliff with two 60m walls and a number of smaller crags. There are established routes here, rated from 5.6 to 5.12. Like Wawa Gorge in Montalban, the more difficult climbs are bolted. The area has great untapped potential, and more routes are being explored. Hand and footholds are solid, more so than in Wawa, and the rock is completely clear of vegetation. Beginning, intermediate, and advanced instruction is available at reasonable prices through Power Up Gym in Quezon City.

Our Lady of Peace and Good Voyage

The statue of Nuestra Señora de la Paz y Buen Viaje was brought from Mexico to Manila By. Gov. Juan Niño de Tavora in 1626 and upon his death in 1632 the blessed statue was turned over to the Jesuits for the Church of Antipolo. The statue experienced greater wonders, most notably in her journeys, which is why she was called the Virgin Voyager. She made eight galleon crossings to Acapulco, during dangerous times, on perilous seas: in 1641, 1643, 1645 to 1649 on the Encarnacion; 1650 on the San Diego; 1651 to 1653 on the San Javier; 1659 to 1662 on the San Jose; and in 1746 to 1748 on the Nuestra Señora del Pilar. The statue of Nuestra Señora de la Paz y Buen Viaje was "canonically crowned" on November 26, 1926, by the most Rev. Michael J. O Doherty, Archbishop of Manila, at the Luneta, Manila, in the presence of at least one hundred thousand people.

Antipolo is known to be the home of Our Lady of Peace and Good Voyage (Nuestra Señora de la Paz Y Buen Viaje). Historians say that this miraculous icon has sailed back and forth between Manila and Acapulco eight times and on several occasions was credited with saving her galleon from destruction by pirates and Dutch and British blockades. The galleon's safe arrivals were attributed to the miraculous powers of the statuette. During the month of May thousands of devotees, especially those intending to travel abroad, come to pay homage at the Shrine of Our Lady of Peace and Good Voyage.

Pinagmisahan - Via Dolorosa.

On the highest peak along Kaytikling Road, the White Cross of Pinagmisahan Hills majestically stands calling pilgrims to relive the saving grace of a procession and Holy Mass with the miraculous icon of the Our Lady of Peace and Good Voyage to protect them from the deadly Cholera plague that took lives of many residents at the foot of its hills and surrounding towns. Today, to reach the White Cross, one will go through life-sized images of the stations-of-the-cross - to contemplate passion, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ. A popular destination during Lent.

Boso-Boso Church

Located at Old Boso-Boso Road, Barangay San Jose, Antipolo City. It was established in pre-Spanish colonization. Basically it was the oldest church in Antipolo City. The Our Lady of Peace and Voyage was brought there first, but transferred to Dela Paz when the church was damage in Japanese war. Through the years Boso-Boso church is still standing and it was renovated several years ago. The Boso-Boso church is a remnant of a centuries-old church, which was destroyed during the Second World War. It stands in the grandeur of old stone with wild vines and plants growing on top of the church. A small chapel was built inside the ruins offering Sunday services to the parishioners.

Hinulugang Taktak

The Hinulugang Taktak falls is a part of Antipolo natural and cultural heritage. Its legendary origin dates back to the 15th century when legend has it that the waterfalls was where the townsfolk threw the large bell that caused undue disturbance whenever it was rung at Angelus. Its sound was so loud that the people could not endure it. They demanded that the local priest get rid of the bell. Thus Hinulugang Taktak, meaning the place where the bell was dropped. The place has since become a favorite spots for visitors and clients. The Hinulugang Taktak waterfall is a living monument of the past. The City is a part and witnessed of that monumental years where people constantly attribute the place to the Patroness, the Our lady of Peace and Good Voyage. The Hinulugang Taktak Recreation Area, which was reserved for scenic and recreaction purpose under Proclamation No. 330 dated July 18, 1952, has been converted into the Hinulugang Taktak National Park by virtue of Republic Act No. 6964 dated September 18 1990. This legendary 3.031 hectares park is located at Bgy. Dela Paz, Antipolo City. The park is an alluring view of natural formation. After soul cleansing at the renowned Antipolo Lady of Peace Shrine, the park offers physical and spiritual cleansing for pilgrims.Unfortunately the falls is now filthy, saturated by wastes from sewages, piggeries, poultries but political efforts are passively being carried out.

Inday Nelly's Mystical Cave

Mystical Caves. Located at Puting Bato, Brgy. San Luis (with 205 steps to reach the opening, with natural rock formations- stalactites and stalagmites of religious icons such as Trinity, Calvary, Holy Spirit, Bell and Madonna and Child) Stalagmites and stalactites taking in shapes and faces of religious icons give one a sense of mysticism in the caverns of the Mystical Caves. Mystical Cave is a natural attraction but can be considered a religious site because the images formed by the water are religious images.

Inday (Tagalog term referring to a woman) Nelly Deles discovered the Cave in 1970. When she was 7 she had a dream every night and saw visions of this cave and when she grew up she decided to find the cave. From Iloilo she traveled around the country just to find the cave and when she got to Antipolo, she found the place. The hole of cave was just the size of a one peso coin, but with the use of dynamite she made a larger hole. The peak season of Mystical cave is during the Lenten Season.

Humaka Park

Located at P. Oliveros St., it depicts the old way of transportation of Antipoleños.It is traveling by walking and carrying the ladies or their leaders using the hamaka or hammock. Tourist will find it worthwhile to momentarily stop at the Hamaka park for a tableau on visitors of the city during its early days. Rich and poor, healthy and ill, young and old, on foot or ferried on hammocks carried on the shoulders of strong young men, visitors come to fervently complete a pilgrim to the Nuestra Senora dela Paz Y Buen Viaje bringing with them the hope for answered prayers.

Butterfly Garden.

The PACEM Ecology Park boasts of its unique garden hosting live butterflies. The flittering of the flies as they unabashedly settle on heads, arms, shoulders will definitely thrill young visitors. The Park also features a mini zoo, herbal garden, and museum of seashells, butterflies and moth collected from all over the world.

Things to Do and see in Rizal... Historical Ang Kalbaryo

It is known not only for its religious significance, but also for its historical value. According to old folks, a cross-shaped rock suddenly grew out of the summit, but it was destroyed by lightning and earthquake. The people them erected in 1783 on the same spot, a wooden cross in place of the original cross. A chapel was built on top of a hill overlooking Laguna in due respect for the cross.

CULTURAL Petroglyphs (Binangonan, Rizal)

Discovered in 1965 by national artist and acclaimed muralist Carlos "Botong" Francisco from Angono, this cultural heritage site dates back to circa 3000 B.C. and is the most ancient Filipino, or more aptly, prehistoric Filipino work of art. The site is famous for its rock engravings, 127 drawings of human and animal figures. Previous archaeological finds yielded fragments of earthenware, obsidian flakes, and shells. The Angono Petroglyphs site has been included in the World's Inventory of the Rock Art, through the auspices of UNESCO, ICCROM, and ICOMOS. It has been declared as a national cultural treasure by virtue of Presidential Decree 260 in 1996. It received the greatest recognition as a nominee for the "100 Most Endangered Sites of the World" by the World Monument Watch List. The preservation and development of the Petroglyphs is a collective effort of the National Museum of the Philippines, World Monument Watch Fund, American Express International, the Department of Tourism, and Antipolo Properties, Inc.

Nemiranda Arthouse and Gallery (Dona Justa Subd., Angono, Rizal)

It is a collection of the artist's paintings masterfully employing figurative realism in his artworks, portraying rural life and folklore art. Also available are lectures, guided tours, and painting workshops.

Tiamson Art Gallerie (203 Dona Nieves St., Bgy. Sto. Nino, Angono, Rizal)

The art gallery houses the various artworks of painter, musician, and transmedia artist Orville DR Tiamson. A versatile artist, Tiamson's style ranges from the conventional to the new age and he has experimented in various artistic presentations, including drawings on paper, oil, acrylic, paintings on canvas, mixed media collages and constructions, installations, performances, music and sound works.

Ang Nuno Gallery and Balaw-Balaw Restaurant (Don Francisco St., Dona Justa Subd., Angono, Rizal)

This charming restaurant cum art gallery owned by artist Perdigon Vocalan is popular among local and foreign tourists. It offers a hearty welcome to guests and treats them with different kinds of native food and exotic cuisine that has proven to be irresistible to patrons from all walks of life.

Blanco Family Museum (312 ibanez St., Sto. Nino, Angono, Rizal)

This famous family of painters welcomes visitors to their private museum housing their vast collection of artworks. The head of the clan, renowned artist Jose D. Blanco, has obviously handed down to his children his creativity and talent. <

Vicente Reyes Studio (Dona Aurora St., Bgy. Poblacion, Angono, Rizal) One of the most prolific and talented students of the late National Artist Carlos "Botong" Francisco, Vicente Reyes has his own studio that houses his artworks and masterpieces. Vicente Manansala Historical Shrine (73 Gloria St., San Carlos Heights Subd., Binangonan, Rizal)

Declared by the National Historical Institute as a historical landmark in June, 1978, it now houses the memorabilia of national artist Vicente Manansala. It also features some of his well-preserved original paintings and paraphernalia.

Rafael Pacheco Finger Painting Gallery (Brgy. Bombongan, Morong)

Rafael Pacheco, the artist, has a unique way of expressing his artistic talent - he uses his bare fingers, knuckles, and palms to complete his masterpiece in 20 minutes, mainly flora, fauna, and underwater life.

Tariki Dance (Tanay, Rizal)

The Tariki Dance was copied and adopted by the natives from the movements of "tariki" birds seen hopping from one bundle of palay to another. It is performed by five pairs of boys and girls dressed in white shirts and pants and blouses and skirts, respectively. World Sikaran/Arnis Brotherhood of the Philippines (20 Katipunan St., Baras, Rizal) Sikaran/Arnis (foot game/sword play) is a combination of two kinds of martial arts that are uniquely Filipino. In Sikaran, the players move around like boxers. Each one aims to knock his opponent down by kicking the latter's legs. The kicks are delivered with considerable force and agility, and sudden upward and backward movements of the foot. The use of the feet is necessary in winning over the opponent; hence, the name "sikaran" which means "to kick." In arnis, the players use rattan or a wooden stick and strike each other's sticks. The player who is able to touch his opponent's body first with the point of his wooden stick or force him to drop his weapon is declared winner.

NATURAL Daranak Falls (Bgy. Tandang Kutyo, Tanay, Rizal)

A favorite location shooting area of most local and international movies and advertising outfits in the country, Daranak Falls nestles quietly at the foot of the Tanay mountains, preserved with the natural vegetation, complemented with beautiful waterfalls, ponds, and rivers cascading through elaborate tropical trees and plants. This 14-meter high falls is truly a refreshing site.

Batlag Falls (Tanay, Rizal)

Further up the mountain, a smaller yet enchanting falls called Batlag Falls will transport you to another natural paradise. Swimming in the cool and flowing water of the falls around a forested vicinity will truly inspire people to preserve and protect this natural wonder.

Talim Island (Binangonan, Rizal)

It is the island where 17 coastal barangays of the municipality of Binangonan are located. They are situated along the shores of Laguna de Bay where fishing is a thriving industry.

Overlooking View (Sumulong Highway, Antipolo City) An area on top of a mountain along Sumulong Highway where one can have a splendid view of the metropolis. There are several nipa huts that serve as a drinking area for the people who would like to enjoy the view.

 

Pililla View Area (Sitio Bugarin, Pililla, Rizal) Located along the a winding mountain road stretching 2 kilometers along Sitio Bugarin, this viewing area is on top of a mountain overlooking Laguna Lake and the horizon outlines of Mts. Makiling and Banahaw.

 

Susong Dalaga (Bgy. Sapang, Talim Island, Binangonan, Rizal) A 200 meter-high mountain shaped like a virgin's breast. A trek to this mountain challenges the grit, perseverance, and physical stamina of hikers. But once they are at the top, a rewarding feeling of "being high" comes by looking at the scenic Laguna Lake and its pristine surroundings.

 

Uugong Arts and Cultural Parks (Bgy. Bombongan, Morong, Rizal) Owned by Rafael Pacheco, where he conducts his art workshops, demonstrations, and lectures, it is also a perfect hideaway from the maddening crowd of the metropolis and a nature sanctuary. One can enjoy a three-in-one view of Morong with its four-centuries old bell tower.

 

Hinulugang Taktak (Taktak Road, Antipolo City) The town of Antipolo has been traditionally known for Hinulugang Taktak Falls, even before World War II. The mountain resort has picnic cottages, a swimming pool, artificial paths, and steps to view the waterfalls. During the month of May, cultural concerts and plays are held in the area fronting the waterfalls.

 

RELIGIOUS Boso-Boso Church Ruins (Bgy. San jose, Antipolo City) The newly restored Boso-Boso church from the remnants of a centuries-old church, which was destroyed during the Second World War. It stands amidst old stones, wild vines, and plants.

 

Our Lady of Antipolo Shrine (Antipolo City) It is known to be the home of Our Lady of Peace and Good Voyage (Nuestra Señora dela Paz y Buenviaje). History says that this miraculous icon sailed back and forth between Manila and Acapulco eight times, and on several occasions, was credited with saving the Spanish galleons from destruction by pirates, and Dutch and British blockades. The galleon's safe arrivals were attributed to the miraculous powers of the icon. It was on November 26, 1926 that the Blessed Virgin from Acapulco was dedicated by the Archbishop of Manila, Michael O' Doherty. The month of May is a month-long fiesta in Antipolo, when thousands of devotees come to pay homage to Our Lady of Peace and Good Voyage.

 

Tanay Catholic Church (Tanay, Rizal) The first Tanay Catholic Church made of nipa and bamboo was built in 1606. The current building made of locally quarried stone was completed in 1680. In 1783, it was reconstructed together with the convent. The church is an example of early Renaissance architecture. It has a four-storey octagonal tower, a façade of adobe blocks, relieved by columns and semicircular arched windows. Its podium is adorned by a niche with the statue of San Ildefonso de Toledo, the patron saint of the town. A convent and a courtyard connect the church to the Catholic school managed by the Archdiocese of Antipolo. Inside are ornate altars with statues of saints. Finely carved, 200 year-old Stations of the Cross add luster to the antiquity of the church.

 

Baras Church (Baras, Rizal)

Baras Church is one of the oldest in the area, having been completed in 1686. The first church in Baras was built by the Franciscans in 1595. The town of Baras was transferred to Ibayo in 1636 but the church was returned to the present site in 1682. It was the Jesuits who administered the parish from 1616 to 1679. The interior of the church was simply done. The altar and the lanterns are stone artifacts, unearthed beneath the church.

Morong Church (San Jose, Morong, Rizal)

St. Jerome Church stands high above the town of Morong. It was built in 1615 by Chinese craftsmen as evidenced by the Chinese lions at the entrance to the steep driveway. It took three years to construct the church which was entirely funded by the people of Morong. The stone and mortar church has steps leading up to the front. The cross on the tower is illuminated at night and can be seen clearly from the surrounding countryside. It has a tower in front, about 100 feet high with a statue of St. Michael the Archangel on top. The three-storey façade which was built in 1850-1853 to support a new bell tower is one of the most splendid examples of baroque architecture in the Philippines. It is in graduated levels, surmounted by a four-storey octagonal bell tower of European influence, with paired columns at the four exterior corners. The ornamentation consists of long, simple nave. The 14 Stations of the Cross are beautifully done. The restoration of the ceiling has been done and old beams are now visible.

Ang Kalbaryo (Bgy. Libid, Binangonan, Rizal)

Ang Kalbaryo is known not only for its religious significance but also for its historical value. According to the old folks, a cross-shaped rock suddenly grew out of the summit but was destroyed by lightning and earthquake. The people erected in 1783 on the same spot a wooden cross in place of the original cross. A chapel was built on top of a hill overlooking Laguna as a place for venerating the cross.

MAN-MADE Hamaka Parks (Along the National Road, Antipolo City)

Named after the term "hamaka" or hammock, this was the means of transporting ladies to the pilgrimage site of Nuestra Señora dela Paz y Buenviaje (Our Lady of Peace and good Voyage). The hammock was borne by two men who would hike up and down the hilly terrain of Antipolo with their precious cargo comfortably settled in the hamaka.

Wawa Dam (Bgy. Wawa, Rodriguez, Rizal)

Wawa Dam is located at the foothills of the Sierra Madre Mountains. It supplies water to Novaliches passing through large pipes. It has a gorge, which lies between two limestone mountains and through this passes the upper Marikina River. Four caves are visible on the way to the dam. These caves are said to have been inhabited by the Japanese soldiers during the Second World War. A historical marker can be found at the entrance of one of the caves, in memory of the Japanese soldiers.

Posted By: Marisa 
 
Date  Title  Action
Article 
28 Sep 2010  Directory: Suppliers of Gifts & Christmas Decors  View
19 Sep 2010  DIRECTORY OF STATE UNIVERSITIES IN REGION 4  View
28 Aug 2010  What Antipolo is Known for  View
30 Mar 2008  HISTORY OF ANTIPOLO CITY  View
30 Mar 2008  Thousands of Devotees Visit Antipolo Church  View
28 Sep 2007  Tourist attractions: Special Interest  View
28 Sep 2007  Rizal Emergency Services & Medical Facilities  View
Event 
28 Sep 2007  Festivals of Antipolo  View
06 Sep 2007  Tourist Attractions  View
04 Aug 2007  major products  View
News 
23 Nov 2012  Antipolo invites more investors thru summit  View
17 Sep 2010  Ensuring All-year Round Availability of High-Value Vegetables Through Container Gardening Under Prot  View
26 Apr 2008  RP BIOTECH HERBAL CURE ENTERS EXPORT MARKET  View
06 Apr 2008  Open House in Antipolo  View
No Ads
   
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
Philippine Cities Trade & Tourism Information Service (c) Copyright 2007, all rights reserved.