It would be interesting to know the origin of our own cities such as Davao, Zamboanga, Iloilo, Cebu, Manila, Baguio and Vigan among others. In the case of Antipolo City, its creation was of recent origin of a little more then half century, and there are Filipinos living today to whom the event has been engraved in their memories. The City was named after a tree locally known as (Autocarpus Incisa) which was in abundance in the area at the time. The early written account of the city's history was recorded in 1578 by the Franciscans missionaries who came to christianize the natives like the Dumagats. When the Filipino rose in revolt against the Spaniards, many Antipoleños joined the rebels. They had an encounter with the Spanish soldiers at Mt. Makatubong, a mountain within Antipolo, Juan Sumulong became the secretary of the revolutionaries in the province. Two months after the declaration by Gen. Emilio Aguinaldo of the Philippine Independence on June 12, 1898 at Kawit, Cavite, Antipolo formally joined the revolutionary government and it was made the capital of Morong. But when the country was occupied by the Americans on June 4, 1899, the revolutionary government was transferred to the town of Tanay.
It was in January 1, 1919 under Executive Act. No. 57, Teresa was segregated from Antipolo. Not long after, roads were built connecting Taytay and Antipolo, then, public transportation became available. When Cornelio Lawis became Mayor of the town, he improved the roadways by putting stones over them. The first town hall was erected in 1925 during the incumbency of Mayor Jose Carigma. Juan Sumulong was elected Senator under Partido Demokrata and Marcelino Santos succeeded as mayor in Antipolo. In 1930, Pascual Oliveros became mayor of Antipolo and electric services reached the town proper. After the 2 nd World War, the Antipoleños rebuilt their homes and their lives from the ashes of war. Led by Mayor Manuel Seranillo, Padre Francisco Avendano, Jose Lawis and Leoncio Anclote, the people built a temporary church and turned the Virgin of Antipolo was held starting at the hills of Pinagmisahan headed by Padre Francisco Avendano. On November 11, 1947, Mayor Isaias Tapales was inaugurated as mayor of the town. Jose R. Olivares was re-elected Municipal Mayor in the 70's, with Felix B. Marinas as the Vice Mayor, they completed the construction of the Municipal town hall.