Rice Bowl of Greater Manila
Home The Cities eTrade eTourism Archive About Us Contact Us
No Ads
eTrade Contacts
Major ProductsLocation Of SuppliersExport Markets
Trade FairsForeign Buyers GuideEmbassies
Trade Related Government Regulations & PoliciesCalendar Of EventsGovernment Offices Directory
General Info

eTourism Contacts
MuseumsHotelsResorts
HospitalsCity FestivalsEmergency Numbers
Tourist OperatorsTourist AttractionsSpecial Areas Of Interest
Accredited Travel AgenciesTourism Related Government Regulations & PoliciesUniversities
TransportationGovernment Tourism OfficesGeneral Info

Calendar of Events Contacts
Cultural Calendar

Cultural Calendar Contacts

eTrade Contacts

Article: HISTORY OF TAGUIG - 01 Apr 2008
Before the Spaniards came, Taguig was a part of Kingdom of Tondo ruled by Rajah Soliman. There were also accounts that Chinese settlements were once present in the area as revealed by the recent archeological diggings of various artifacts like glasses, cups, plates and other utensils, which bear Chinese characters. This was believed to have originated from China's Ming dynasty. 
Taguig was one of the earliest known territories to have been Christianized when the Spaniards succeeded in subjugating mainland Luzon through the Legazpi expedition in 1571. Between the years 1582 and 1583, Taguig was of the encomienda of Tondo headed by an Alcalde Mayor, Captain Vergara. It was in 1587 when Taguig was established as a separate "pueblo" (town) of the then province of Manila. Captain Juan Basi was its Kapitan from 1587 to 1588. According to records, Taguig had nine (9) barrios then namely, Bagumbayan, Bambang, Hagonoy, Palingon, Sta. Ana, Tipas, Tuktukan, Ususan, and Wawa. Records show that Tipas had once petitioned to become an independent town but was denied by the Spanish government.During that time, Taguig was accessible via the Pasig River, which was connected to two large bodies of water, the Manila Bay and Laguna de Bay. The population then was estimated to be 800 tributes. The town produced more than enough rice for their consumption but had less sugar cane to mill. The men lived through fishing while women wove cotton cloth and "sawali" from bamboo strips.The people of Taguig were known to have resisted both Spanish and American colonial rule. During that early period of Spanish colonition. Don Juan Basi, "Kapitan" of Taguig from 1587 to 1588, attempted to overthrow the Spanish government but failed, being exiled for two years as punishment. When then Katipunan was on its early years, many from Taguig became followers and later joined the uprising. The people of Taguig also joined the revolutionary government of General Emilio Aguinaldo on August 6, 1898.During the American occupation, they struggled against the forces of General Wheaton under the command of General Pio del Pilar. It was recorded that on February 6, 1889, Filipino forces including Taguig "revolutionarios" dislodged an American position in the hills of Taguig, now a portion of Pateros and Fort Bonifacio. They were defeated eventually by the Americans with superiority in the armaments and training. Taguig finally fell to the contingent of the First Washington Volunteer Infantry led by Col. Wholly.The defeat of the Filipinos after two years of struggle against the American forces subsequently subjected the Philippines to another system of governance. On August 14, 1898, United States occupied the islands and established a military government with General Wesley Meritt as the First Military Governor. He exercised legislative powers until September 1, 1900.
At the start of American regime, Taguig was proclaimed as an independent municipality with the promulgation of General Order No. 4 on March 29, 1900. The town was subsequently incorporated to the newly created province of Rizal when the Philippine Commission promulgated Act. No. 137 on June 11, 1901. On October 12, 1903, Taguig, Muntinlupa and Pateros were merged by the virtue of Act. No. 942 with Pateros hosting the seat of the municipal government. The merger did not last long as a month later Muntinlupa was segregated from it and made part of Biñan when Act. No. 1008 was enacted on November 25, 1903. However it was returned to Taguig on March 22, 1905 with the promulgation Act. No. 1308. On February 29, 1908, Taguig was again declared an independent municipality through Executive Order No. 20. Eventually, Pateros separated from Taguig and both became independent municipalities of Rizal province on January 1, 1918.
It was also during the American Colonial Period that the US government acquired a 25.78 km² property of Taguig for military purposes. This large piece of land which had a TCT dated 1902, was turned into a camp and was then known as Fort McKinley(named after the 25th president of US Pres. William McKinley). When the Japanese occupied the Philippines in 1942, Fort McKinley was taken over by the Japanese Imperial Army. They occupied the military camp until the end of the war in 1945.After the Philippines gained its political independence from the United States on July 4, 1946, the US surrendered the Republic of the Philippines all right of possession, jurisdiction, supervision and control over the Philippine territory except the used of the military bases. On May 14, 1949, Fort McKinley was turned over to the Philippine government by virtue of the US embassy Note No. 0570.Fort McKinley was made the permanent headquarters of the Philippine Army in 1957 and was subsequently renamed Fort Bonifacio after the Father of the Philippine Revolution against Spain, Andres Bonifacio.The town's political subdivision was changed to barangays following the nationwide implementation of the Integrated Reorganization Plan (IRP) in the 1970s when the country was under Martial Law. The IRP has increased its subdivisions into 18 barangays, namely, Bagong Tanyag, Bagumbayan, Bambang, Calzada, Hagonoy, Ibayo-Tipas, Ligid-Tipas, Lower Bicutan, Maharlika, Napindan, Palingon, Signal Village, Sta. Ana, Tuktukan, Upper Bicutan, Ususan, Wawa, and Western Bicutan. Soon to be added to its jurisdiction is Barangay Fort Bonifacio. On November 7, 1975, Taguig was carved out from the province of Rizal to form the National Capital Region through Presidential Decree No. 824. Today, Taguig is still one of the seventeen (17) cities and municipalities that make up Metro Manila.In 1998, a bill was passed in Congress pushing for the cityhood of Taguig. The resulting plebiscite in April showed that the citizens were against cityhood. A recent petition to the Supreme Court sought a recount of the plebiscite and the Supreme Court on February 19, 2004 ordered the Commission on Elections to conduct a recount. The recount showed that the residents did want the municipality of Taguig to become a city (21,105 'yes' and 19,460 'no'). Subsequently, Taguig became a city on December 8, 2004.In January 2008, Taguig City Mayor Sigfrido Tiñga announced that the main headquarters of the Philippine Stock Exchange (PSE) will soon be built in Fort Bonifacio 5,000-square meter property near the HSBC building and the unified bourse will operate by 2010. Also,the PSE held its 4th "Bull Run 2008: Takbo Para Sa Ekonomiya (Run for the Economy)."[1]Source: www.wikipedia.org
Posted By: PhilCTTIS Data Center 
 
Date  Title  Action
Article 
10 Oct 2010  BUSINESS DIRECTORY: ORGANIC, HERBAL & NATURAL PRODUCTS  View
04 Oct 2010  BUSINESS DIRECTORY: WEARABLES  View
30 Sep 2010  BUSINESS DIRECTORY: Gifts and Christmas Decors  View
29 Sep 2010  List of State Universites and Colleges  View
19 Sep 2010  DIRECTORY: BUYERS AND SELLERS OF FRESH FRUITS AND VEGETABLES  View
07 Apr 2008  Food Terminal Incorporated  View
01 Apr 2008  HISTORY OF TAGUIG  View
13 Oct 2007  Tourist attractions  View
Event 
09 Aug 2007  Accredited Travel Agencies  View
09 Aug 2007  Tourist attractions  View
News 
27 Nov 2012  Philippine market one of top 3 JP Morgan picks for 2013  View
23 Nov 2012  DOE assures of stable power supply in Visayas   View
12 Apr 2008  RP, CHINA ARE IDEAL BPO, IT SITES  View
06 Apr 2008  TAGUIG, QC LEAD GK?s SLUM-FREE DRIVE  View
01 Nov 2007  Opportunities in URBAN FARMING  View
No Ads
   
Logos and trademarks are the property of their respective owners.
Philippine Cities Trade & Tourism Information Service (c) Copyright 2007, all rights reserved.